2002 Sep 05 22:41

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #417 - 1 msg

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #417 - 1 msg

> rick, perhaps you should contact ESR and ask him to include this email,
> nearly verbatim, to the video mode timing howto?  i sure could've
> benefited knowing this stuff before.

I'm not sure it belongs there:  This is pretty much in the category of
driving without seatbelts, or some better metaphor that isn't readily
coming to mind.  ;->  Anyhow, I mean it's "You can probably get away
with opening up the frequency limits, but don't sue us if you hurt
yourself."  Dunno about you, but that's outside my liability comfort
limits.

Besides, I could be wrong.  Or I could be neglecting to include some
vital detail or exception.  Accordingly, I'm willing to carry out my
inclinations on these matters when _I'm_ the fool at the keyboard, but
trying to distill the necessary caution and common sense down to a HOWTO
document I'm not afraid of getting sued (or flamed to a crisp) for
seems risky.

> btw, how much of this stuff is true for tft's or laptops?

I've heard it alleged that LCD displays are inherently immune to burnout
from improper X configuration, no matter how badly you botch it.  But,
not being an expert on LCD technology, all I can say for certain is:
Seems to hold true as far as my experience goes.  Note the big
difference between that and certainty you (and others) can bank on.

rick@linuxmafia.com