2002 Sep 02 09:23

Re: [vox-tech] File recovery?

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ryan wrote:

> I tried using debugfs, but it's lsdel command showed nothing, leading me to
> belive that fsck did a real number on my stuff.

You ran fsck?  If fsck finds lost clusters, they go in the "lost+found"
directory on the root of the partition, I think.  Did you check
"lost+found"?

> I think my best option is to figure out where the files started on the disk
> and use mplayer to dump them elsewhere.
>
> How would i grep the disk for a string and have it print the offsets?

There are several binary file editors you can probably use on the
/dev/hdaN (or whatever it is.)  The one I sometimes use is called
"hex<something>", or "<something>hex".  Sorry for the bad memory... that's
what `locate` is for, right?!

-Mark :)

PS: Peter was also writing a hex editor at some point.  How's that going,
Pete?

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/