2002 Sep 01 23:53

Re: [vox-tech] File recovery?

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ryan wrote:
> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
> On Sunday 01 September 2002 05:22 pm, Ryan wrote:
> > Last night my system froze and I had to hard-reset.
> > Now a few direcrotys are gone from one of my partitons.
> > Any way to recover these?
> > The partition hasn't been written to since.
>
> BTW, the files I want are AVIs (about 20 fansubs) which all start with the
> string 'RIFF'
>
> Perhaps I could tell mplayer to play /dev/hdg1 and give it the offset and use
> the option to dump it to the disk (mplayer will figuer out where the file
> ends)
>
> Are things likely to be unfragmented enough for this to work?

I saw a tool in use and demoed by Venema and Farmer back in NY which they
called "the grave robber's tool kit" though I think it changed names. It
allowed you to "walk your disk" and "look at files" including deleted
ones, and Farmer said he was going to add features to make it allow you to
see images (or what could be reconstructed of an image) for files that
were deleted. This tool may help you do what you want to do, but you
probably don't want to install it on the same system you wish to
inspect. ;-)

It had other features, but the one mentioned here is probably what you
would want it for right now.

Also, if the files are not on disk, but were in memory in unflushed
buffers, and never written to disk, you are probably not going to find
much of anything on disk that was not written to disk in the first place.
:-(

Hopefully, others will have other ideas that are better. :-)

-ME