2002 Aug 30 12:34

Re: [vox-tech] debian/vim question

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:21:31AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i want to play around with vim syntax files.  however, i don't want to
> start mucking around in /usr.  i'd have to place a file in
> /usr/share/vim/vim61 and edit a file /usr/share/vim/vim61/filetype.vim.
[...]
> suggestions on the best way to proceed?

# MAKING YOUR OWN SYNTAX FILES                            *mysyntaxfile*
#
# When you create your own syntax files, and you want to have Vim use these
# automatically with ":syntax enable", do this:
#
# 1. Create your user runtime directory.  You would normally use the first item
#    of the 'runtimepath' option.  Example for Unix: >
#         mkdir ~/.vim
#
# 2. Create a directory in there called "syntax".  For Unix: >
#         mkdir ~/.vim/syntax
#
# 3. Write the Vim syntax file.  Or download one from the internet.  Then write
#    it in your syntax directory.  For example, for the "mine" syntax: >
#         :w ~/.vim/syntax/mine.vim
#
# Now you can start using your syntax file manually: >
#         :set syntax=mine
# You don't have to exit Vim to use this.

  Is that what you are looking for?

    TTFN,
      Mike

ps:
  more info found via starting vim, ":help syntax".

pps:
  On checking strace of this event I can clearly see vim read in the
~/.vim/syntax/c.vim file then read in the system provided one ... however
after making some changes to my local copy I'm certain the local one
is overriding the system one.
  It seems to be wasteful to load both... and even then why doesn't seem
like it should load the system files second.