2002 Aug 28 09:43

[vox-tech] running X with Intel 82810

I have an Intel 82810 graphics controller and have been unable to get X
running.  (Some of you may remember me from the March and April
Installfests.)  I am running Debian linux and have upgraded from potato to
woody and have switched to X4, but so far, none of this has helped.  I
configured X4 by running XFree86 -configure.  This gave me a graphics
resolution that was way too low.  (I tried to cycle through settings using
ctrl-alt-minus, but evidently, that was the only choice.)  I tried to look
at the resulting configuration file, XF86Config-4, but was told that no
such file exists, despite that fact that I can see it if I type ls -l X*
(but not ls -l XF* or variants) and I do have read permission.  It has
been suggested that I may need to switch to kernel version 2.4.  As a
relative neophyte, I'm reluctant to attempt this unless I really need to.

My questions are these:  Do I need to upgrade to kernel version 2.4 or can
I just fiddle with X4?  If fiddling is sufficient, how can I examine/edit
XF86Config-4, which will presumably be necessary?  (I'm also curious to
know why I can't look at this on general grounds.)

			- robin.