2002 Aug 27 00:36

[vox-tech] processor shootout: new intel, amd offerings

[vox-tech] processor shootout: new intel, amd offerings

this is pretty cool...

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/p4_28g.shtml

summary:

what was released
=================
intel just released a 2.8 GHz P4 with a 533MHz FSB.
amd just "released" the 2600+ athlon based on the thoroughbred core.

availability
============
intel's chip is already on the market.  AMD's chip is not available.
the media has coined AMD's release as a "paper release".

heat
====
reviewer said the new P4 runs pretty cool review said the new P4
operating temp was at 34C.   ... oh my god, becky!  that's cooler than
my athlon 1.4!

overclocking
============
the new intel reached 3.15 reliably.

benchmarks
==========
the new P4 outperformed the new athlon by 10% - 15% on each benchmark.
the new athlon is about equivalent to a 2.53 P4.  reviewer points out
that you don't want to skimp on the RAM for the P4.

pricing
=======
pretty much what you'd expect.  the new P4 is $508, new athlon is $300.
major drag.  i'm not sure $200 is worth a 15% gain in oomph.  but if i
had a real job...   :)   when the 2600+ reaches the market, hopefully
the 2.8 P4 will drop a bit.

pete