2002 Aug 23 17:41

Re: [vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

On Friday 23 August 2002 03:45 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Shawn P. Neugebauer <spn@ucdavis.edu>
>
> > On Friday 23 August 2002 03:09 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > apparently /home/p/.mozilla/p/sfyq5cev.slt/mimeTypes.rdf.  looks like
> > > some kind of xml file.
> > >
> > > i wonder if that config file pathname and filename is supposed to be a
> > > joke?
> >
> > no, it's a security feature.
>
> what kind of security?  security from what?

hmmm...i always assumed it was for security reasons.  now that i think
about it, that doesn't make any sense.  anyway, it is a random string,
not an inside joke.  it's probably used just to avoid conflicts between
different profiles for the same user.

> > as for speed, one thing you *may* be noticing is that the engine
> > renders nearly the entire page before displaying it.  in early versions
> > of mozilla, when it really was slow, i found this incredibly annoying
> > because i liked netscape's behavior of displaying the page as it
> > was received/processed.  i realized i had completely forgotten
> > about this until i was thinking about your comment.
>
> maybe you're right here -- is there a way to change this behavior?  i
> tried thumbing through mozilla's prefs and couldn't find anything that
> seemed relevant.

no, this is deep, deep behavior.

shawn.