2002 Aug 18 20:55

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephone wiri

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephone wiring?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:06:01PM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:31:40PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to resources explaining how to locate a break in my
> > in-wall telephone wiring (rat damage), assuming such a thing is possible? I
> > have a multimeter; hoping that I can do the trick when handled by a clueful
> > operator ;-).
>
> Use a home made time domain reflectometer injector (I've made one), and a
> good oscilliscope.  You can detect cable length and any impedance problems
> too.
>
> That said, it's probably easier to pull new line useing the old, as
> someone's already suggested.
>
> If you look online for a DIY TDR you should see some links.  It's a fun
> low cost project... assuming you already have an oscilliscope.

Looks like a cool project, though since I have a multimeter but no
oscilliscope, I think I'll try the the multimeter first, then perhaps go with
Rusty's suggestion of pulling new wire; 25-year old cable is probably due for
replacement anyway.  Thanks to all for the many suggestions!

--
Henry House