2002 Aug 18 19:51

Re: [vox-tech] html question: comments

on Thu, Aug 15, 2002, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> for the multi-line comment:
>
> <!--
>    snow:     #FFFAFA   255 250 250
>    orange:   #FFA500   255 165 0
>    green:    #00FF00   0 255 0
>    blue:     #0000FF   0 0 255
> -->
>
> weblint reprots:
>
>    index.html(14): metacharacter ">" should be represented as "&gt;"
>
> line 14 is the last line of the comment.  the "-->" by itself.  i looked
> at the 4.01 standard:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4
>
> and can't find anything wrong with this comment.   what exactly is
> weblint complaining about?  it doesn't complain about anything else on
> the page.

Try tidy:

    Package: tidy
    Section: web
    Installed-Size: 338
    Maintainer: Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 20020301-1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
    Filename: pool/main/t/tidy/tidy_20020301-1_i386.deb
    Size: 123456
    MD5sum: ba5730163032c53381c8580bcf5cbfa8
     Corrects markup in a way compliant with the latest standards, and
     optimal for the popular browsers.  It has a comprehensive knowledge
     of the attributes defined in the HTML 4.0 recommendation from W3C,
     and understands the US ASCII, ISO Latin-1, UTF-8 and the ISO 2022
     family of 7-bit encodings.  In the output:
     .
      * HTML entity names for characters are used when appropriate.
      * Missing attribute quotes are added, and mismatched quotes found.
      * Tags lacking a terminating '>' are spotted.
      * Proprietary elements are recognized and reported as such.
      * The page is reformatted, from a choice of indentation styles.
     .
     Tidy is a product of the World Wide Web Consortium.

Peace.

   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.
     http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html