2002 Aug 17 12:51

Re: [vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Yesterday, Eric Nelson wrote:

> On Thursday 15 August 2002 21:19, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > eric,
> >
> > begin Eric Nelson <en77@attbi.com>

-- snip--
> > > My question is, how can we time stamp events,
> >
> > what do you mean by "time stamp"?  depending on what you mean, i
> > would either recommend using the "time" command or the "top"
> > command.
>
> What I mean is,
> request to show image -> Xserver 10:43:42.234
> Xserver sends commands to hardware 10:43:42.678
> image shows 10:43:43.012
> etc.
> In the time from start to finish, where are the hangups.  In other
> words, do we need to improve the graphics adapter, the Xserver, add
> ram, what?
--snip--

I (on my companies behalf) have looked into these types of tools for the
same reasons only on a grander scale. We're looking for a performance
monitoring tool that can run on a remote desktop and monitor (with
configurable alert thresholds) an "end user experience", complete with
network latency, database access times, gui display, disk i/o, mem
swaping, etc.

So far all we've come up with are glorified IP traffic analyzers. The sort
of thing you could write a script to do. I have found nothing that will
give you the detail you (and I) are looking for.

Please let me know if you find something along these lines. Unfortunatly
I'm dealing with Windows clients, so recompiling code isn't an option.

-doug