2002 Aug 14 21:07

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephonewirin

Re: [vox-tech] OT: finding location of a break in in-wall telephonewiring?

How many jacks do you have and how many jacks are/aren't working?  If you
got at least one jack working, and got a spare pair of lines, tie them
together and you'll be able to use the spare pair.  Make sure you tie the
striped to striped and solid to solid.

If you got no jacks working, one or more lines between the house and the
phone box are broken.  Find a new pair of lines, if you got any spare, and
rewire them from the phone box.  Some places don't let you do that without
the manager's permission, but I think you live in a house, right?

If you got no spare wires, I feel for you, man.  You'll need to poke
around a bit.  When I need to map out house wiring is I cut wires at
different points to see which other jacks it disturbs, which lets me map
out how the lines run through the house.  It's somewhat fun, if you got
the time to do detective work.

Next task: Get some mouse traps!

-Mark :)

--