2002 Aug 08 23:24

Re: [vox-tech] shell script challenge

GNU Linux writes:
 > On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:35:16PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
 > >  > md5 is a better way to go than checksums.
 > >
 > > Er... no. MD5 *is* a checksum.
 >
 > No, it's a message digest :)
 > Yeah, I guess it is a checksum.
 >
 > The "checksums" that people usually think of, aren't they CRC checksums?

Could be. When *I* think of checksums, though, I think pretty much
exclusively of MD5, because I'd rarely consider using something else.

Though CRCs, really, are fine for basic file integrity checks when
used as part of a file's format. And I don't know whether or not it's
true, but CRCs may trade off speed for robust usability.

Still, unless I've got a reason, I use MD5 (meaning, I totally agree
with you).

-Micah