2002 Aug 06 08:05

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp question

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:39:16PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> this is the first time i've ever done anything with dhcp.  please regard
> me as a newbie here.
>
> from reading the man page, it sounds like:
>
>    pump -i eth0
>
> or
>
>    pump -i eth0 -l 120   (for 120 hours)
>
> will get an IP assigned to a machine.  right?   does this also configure
> DNS servers?   will it also take care of the default gateway?

Since I know you use Debian exclusively, I will tell you the Debian Way. Edit
your /etc/network/interfaces so that it looks like mine:

	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

	# The loopback interface
	# automatically added when upgrading
	auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback

	# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
	# automatically added when upgrading
	auto eth0
	iface eth0 inet dhcp

Run ifdown eth0; ifup eth0 and all should be well. The DNS servers will not
be configured but the default gateway will (by ifup, not pump or /sbin/dhcp).

--
Henry House