2002 Aug 02 11:06

Re: [vox-tech] Partitioning scheme

On Friday 02 August 2002 10:10 am, Rod Roark wrote:
> You'll find that most of the Red Hat install goes into /usr,
> so I think you have too much allocated to /.  I would combine
> / and /usr anyway -- can't think of any reason to separate
> them and it's all distribution stuff.
>
> Also /home is probably too small.  People can be real pack
> rats with their email.
>
> Finally, leave space for an extra root filesystem.  It comes
> in very handy for upgrading and rescue.

i was going to mention that in my last email...i agree.  i like to have enough
room for a completely distinct OS.  it's very useful for upgrades:  one can
install an upgrade or new OS in the extra partition, have both mounted
concurrently, and more easily build the new configuration.  the old config is
always there for reference and as a backup.

shawn.