2002 Aug 01 22:30

Re: [vox-tech] simple X86 question

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > begin Andy Campbell <atcampbell@ucdavis.edu>
> ==8<--
> > > that's the only maneuver I did know, but a) it didn't work and instead
> > > restarted the machine and
> >
> > it *definitely* shouldn't have.   are you absolutely, positively *sure*
> > you hit control-alt-backspace and NOT control-alt-delete?  the latter
> > will restart the machine.  the former will kill X.
>
> X restarting could be perceived as Linux restarting, I suppose.
>
> > > b) i've read that it does not cleanly exit from the X server anyway so it
> > > shouldn't be routinely used
> >
> > absolutely not.  whoever told you that is just wrong.
>
> Not all programs die gracefully.  Start up some programs,
> ctrl-alt-backspace, then check /tmp.  I guess it depends on the system,
> but I get several named pipes and lock files lying around.
>
> -Mark

i shouldn't assume other people have the same habits as i do: i was
assuming that all programs were exited already.

from X's point of view, control-alt-backspace is the canonical way of
killing the server.  but before doing it, exit all programs first unless
you know it won't hurt, like xterms, xcalc, xeyes, opera, etc.

pete

--
Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.