2002 Aug 01 22:12

Re: [vox-tech] simple X86 question

andy, don't apologize for being a newbie; it's not a crime.  the only
crime is to ask a question without putting a little brain (and a bit of
research) into it.

i've never owned a mandrake system, but i'm guessing you start out in
runlevel 5.   switch to runlevel 3:

   telinit 3

the numbers aren't standardized, but i *think* mandrake and redhat use
the 3rd runlevel for "multiuser, no X startup".

now if you do control-alt-backspace, you should be able to kill X
without it restarting.

if that doesn't work, try stopping the display manager.  i've never used
a display manager before, but i think one of these should do the trick:

   /etc/init.d/gdm stop
   /etc/init.d/kdm stop
   /etc/init.d/xdm stop

one of these ideas will work, if not both; i don't think gdm is respawned
from /etc/inittab.  but then again, i've never used it.  :)

btw, if you want to go into single user mode:

   telinit 1

pete

ps- one more thing, instead of replying to a post to start a new thread,
just start a new thread.  i'm guessing you replied to the "vim question"
thread, deleted the content and changed the subject.  for those of us
who use mutt, this is confusing because mutt looks at references for
threading rather than subjects.

begin Andy Campbell <atcampbell@ucdavis.edu>
> I am still a newby so please excuse me as I attempt the learning curve.
>
> I am running mandrake 8.1 , and for the life of me I can't figure out how to
> exit from the X server. Of course I can shutdown, reboot or logout, but I
> can't shutdown only the x server so that I have a straight command line.
>
> Here's the catch....hopefully you'all know the easy answer and it is a
> mandrake related issue....but the boot image I am actually running is a
> RT-Linux 3.1 image that has patched a Linuz 2.4.4 kernel. I need to exit the
> X server in order to run certain test programs in the real time kernel.
>
> Hopefully it is a simple mandrake procedure.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Andy

Please don't put my email address in your Outlook addressbook.