January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 30 07:35

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

Re: [vox-tech] Filesystems on linux for kids.

begin Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com>
> A few weeks ago on Slashdot there was a story about a comparison between
> EXT3 and Reiser... and Ext3 was ahead in most cases.  A quick search
> should turn up the links.

It's at http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/12/1752248.

The article did not indicate what "most cases" would be.
One thing it did indicate is that reiser performs considerably
better than ext3 where levels of disk activity are high (as
opposed to mostly in-memory operations).  Which to my way of
thinking is the case that matters most.

Also I like it that reiserfs is more space-efficient.

Curiously, despite the fact that reiser made it into the
kernel first, Red Hat decided to make it very easy to choose
ext3 and very difficult to choose reiser at installation
time.  That alone is probably the main reason for the
greater popularity of ext3, and one of a handful of reasons
that Red Hat is no longer my favorite distribution.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/