2002 Jul 27 22:15

[vox-tech] remote desktop question

Hey all,

I'm having some difficulties with something. I have a remote machine that
I need to keep tabs on, and I need to be able to view the remote desktop
localy. VNC doesn't allow this, but there's a package for kde (the remote
side runs kde) called krfb that allows this.

Unfortunately, the remote machine is on dsl, and krfb doesn't seem to use
tight-vnc. Obviously, this makes it very painful.

I'd like to tunnel vnc over ssh to get at least a bit of compression going,
and that's where I'm running into difficulties.

My setup is like this:

my desktop machine ---> firewall/router ----> |interweb| -----> remote machine

from what I understand, I need to run

ssh -C -L 5500:localhost:5500 me@mydesktop

in order to get the tunnel going. Unfortunately, there's the firewall/router
in the way.

am I missing something obvious here? is this even possible?

-Gabe