2002 Jul 27 13:24

Re: [vox-tech] first shot with parted

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > when i first installed debian, i was still kind of new-ish to the
> > partitioning thing and made /var much too small:
>
> That's when having an LNX-BBC disk, ssh, and rsync handy -- along
> with another nearby host for in-transit file storage -- come in
> handy.  That lets you copy filesystems over to the other host,
> blow away the old filesystems, make new ones of the desired size,
> and then rsync the files back.

i used to keep a huge hard drive around just for this purpose (and for
backing up data when i was doing something dangerous like modifying
inodes when undeleting a file).

the problem is that i'd invariably need a hard drive for a system and
would use my spare.

maybe lugod should invest in a huge hard drive to keep in our library
that can be taken out on a short term loan (say an evening or two) by
members who need to backup large amounts of data for just this purpose?

pete