2002 Jul 27 01:37

Re: [vox-tech] first shot with parted

yeah, i've read about LVM (although i've never used it).

the problem here is that:

1. i didn't want to fdisk my hard drive into oblivion.  as i understand
   it, you need to change the partition type using fdisk, make the
   volumes and lay down a new filesystem.  i'd be surprised if you could
   make a disk into LVM volumes non-destructively (if you can, please
   tell me!)

2. satan is my main server.  using parted was a stretch for me, but i
   know a few people who have used it successfully.  it appears to have
   a great track record judging from google.  i don't know of anyone who
   uses LVM yet, and would rather play with it on lucifer, moloch,
   belial or mephisto before using it on satan.

   blowing away root and home (which contains all my physics research
   for the past 6 years), even though all that stuff is backed up, is
   too nerve wracking for me.   :)

pete

begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>