2002 Jul 25 13:06

Re: [vox-tech] checking for interactive shell in bash

Re: [vox-tech] checking for interactive shell in bash

i just read that testing the length of $PS1 is a way of checking if
we're in an interactive shell (zero length means non-interactive, of
course).

seems like a pretty humble solution, but it appears to work.  i guess it
hinges on you not setting PS1 before testing it, since /etc/profile *is*
read by non-interactive shells.  that's a big nota-bene.

pete

begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
> hola,
>
> here's a snippet from my /etc/profile:
>
>    # $TERM is set to "dumb" for scp sessions.
>    #
>    if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then

huge snip