2002 Jul 21 11:09

Re: [vox-tech] can YOU be certified?!?

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > the exam answer:
> > ================
> > the exam answer: choice c
> >
> > the rationale:
> >
> >    Finding the right amount of space for your swap partition can be a
> >    trial-and-error process.  For example, if you hear your hard drive
> >    churning because of constant data transfer between your RAM and hard
> >    drive, that is a sign you need more swap space.
> >
> > i will *not* comment on this further, simply because we all know this is
> > clearly wrong.
>
> Too bad they did not include the other mentioned items in te above
> paragraph as "observations". Their "c" is presently, "hey, my disk is
> churning and making a steady noise. Time to add swap!" To quote "Kuni"
> from Weird All Yankovic's UHF, "Soooooo Sttuuuuupid!" :-)

besides /cat/swaps, i thought of one more good way to know if you need
to add swap space:

out of memory errors when you start new processes.

disk churning == RAM starved
out of memory errors == RAM and swap starved

> This is a bad Question, but so far not as bad as Qs from the MS Cert
> exams. I seem to recall one MS cert Q asking about solutions for mail
> service  *requiring* the user to choose "the best soltution for this would
> be installation of MS Exchange."

tee hee.  kinda like how larry ellison is advocating national health and
crime databases (and of course, he says oracle would be the best
solution).

biz types can be so tacky and gauche, i'm embarrased for them.

pete