2002 Jul 21 02:56

Re: [vox-tech] can YOU be certified?!?

ME writes:
 > > Based on observation and the output from the top command, which of the
 > > following pieces of information tells you that swap space needs to be
 > > increased?

<snip>

 > > c) You hear constant noise from your hard drive.
 >
 > Out of scope from original premise. Hard disk chatter is not from
 > "top". Also, hard disk noise may offer a false positive with file access
 > or a find command producing similar results.

Not really out of scope - based on *observation* and the output from
the top command. However, if it is the correct answer, I'd consider
the question a "trick question".

As to the false positives - I'm not sure those count as "constant
noise". But even so, one wouldn't want to increase swap based solely
on that scrap of evidence - it needs to be combined with looking at
more concrete information.

-Micah