2002 Jul 19 22:59

Re: [vox-tech] hold on to your hats - perl vs python

On Friday 19 July 2002 12:55 pm, Charles Polisher wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:09:54AM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> And lets not forget awk - a pleasant, well behaved,
> easily learned language. It's yet one more great Unix
> tool for manipulating text and the odd system-admin
> chore. It's been around alot longer than Ruby or Python
> (maybe even longer than Perl), which is a plus. I'm
> an OOP advocate, but most simple text-processing and
> sys- admin doesn't lend itself neatly to OOP style
> so those benefits of OOperl, Ruby & Python seem
> dubious.

Heh.  About a year ago I was commissioned to write a text-
manipulation program to run on a dos machine.  I didn't
really want to do it in C, and so looked around and found a
nice free awk interpreter for dos.

I think the client was a bit surprised that their problem
was solved by a 17-line awk program.  :-)

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/