2002 Jul 19 23:01

Re: [vox-tech] hold on to your hats - perl vs python

On Friday 19 July 2002 12:01 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > i'd like to hear the opinions of anyone who has actually MADE the
> > > switch from perl to python as their scripting language of choice.
> >
> > Perhaps you would like to read what Eric Raymond had to say about it.
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-lj-issues/issue73&file=lstoc
>
> that's a good link.  i guess you can measure a programmer's worth by
> what he considers a "long" perl program.  i would've called 100 lines of
> perl endless.   :-)

Hmm, I've been maintaining some perl scripts recently for a
client, a couple of which are over 1000 lines, and have not
found them too odious.  I think a lot depends on the style
of the programmer.  It's just another language.

Just read Eric's article... a bit melodramatic if you ask
me.  What it demonstrates is that if you're going to use the
object-oriented features of a language, then it's important
to be able to manipulate class definitions at run time.
Since Python does that and GUI stuff too, it's a good
solution for his problem.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/