2002 Jul 18 16:50

[vox-tech] ruby (was: hold on to your hats - perl vs python)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:40:00PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> jeff newmiller got me thinking about switching from perl to python as my
> main scripting language of choice.
>
> i'd like to hear the opinions of anyone who has actually MADE the switch
> from perl to python as their scripting language of choice.
>
> was python everything you had hoped for?  was there anything you had in
> perl that seems to be missing from python?  perl certainly seems to have
> a never ending supply of packages, but i understand python is being
> developed quickly too.
>
> looking for subjective experience here.  not enumerations of the virtues
> of python or perl.

If you are considering switching to a new language, you might as well
consider Ruby.[*]

My subjective experience: the main reason that I prefer Ruby to other
languages these days is that the syntax clear and stays out of the way;
bizzarre symbols (as in Perl) are avoided. (This is probably true of Python
as well.)

I am not an OO purist; I find that most object-oriented languages make using
classes and object too much trouble to be worth the bother. I have not found
this to be true of Ruby.

I like writing

		'a b c d'.split(/\s/).each do |i|
			puts "elem = #{i}"
		end

than

		foreach my $i (split(/\s/, "a b c d")) {
			print "elem = $i\n"
		}

:-)

[*] Ruby is purely object-oriented (like Smalltalk); Perl is procedural with
    object-oriented addons (like C++), while Python is a messy hybrid, IMHO
    (like Java).

--
Henry House