2002 Jul 15 16:19

Re: [vox-tech] Help Request with SAMBA and SWAT

Re: [vox-tech] Help Request with SAMBA and SWAT

begin Dick Ely using JPS-SMTP & POP <dick@davis.com>
> Dear Linux folks:
>
> I currently have a new Installfest Debian installed system.  Mozilla and
> Apiword work fine.
> Gnome seems to be working ok.

congrats!

> SAMBA  I am trying to get Samba going.  I have been playing with smb.conf
> file and have some luck working with the manual sharing my Linux files...
> But no luck yet sharing printers nor seeing the networked files on MS boxes
> connected.

i've only played with samba twice, since i'm pretty much linux only, but
i remember there being some *excellent* samba docs on troubleshooting
printers.  it gives a step by step list of things to do which take about
30 minutes to complete.

it's not clear to me from your last sentence, but it sounds like your
printer is connected to windows.  from listening to other people's
experiences, it might be easier to have the printer on linux and share
it with windows (but both configurations are possible).

what are you trying to browse the MS files?  i seem to recall a utility
called smbclient which was very "ftp-ish".  make sure there aren't any
debug flags you can use when you run smbclient.  also, check out the
files i list below...

> I understand that I should create my own smb.conf file and have
> been working with massive docs to do that.  But time is somewhat limited
> and I would be grateful for some help. My objective is to get to work and I
> am having limited success with smb.conf files.
>
>  I would like to use SWAT or other recommended SAMBA set-up .
>
> SWAT simply hangs when I try to run it and when I try to log on  to
> //localhost:901using gnome   I get *connection refused*.

/var/log/messages
/var/log/daemon.log
/var/log/syslog

> First:  Why cannot I log on to //localhost:901 using gnome?

see the above 3 files for the reason.   one of them will have the
reason.  looking at /etc/inetd.conf, swat gets run from tcpd (the
so-called "tcp wrappers").  you may want to check out what's in your
/etc/hosts.deny.

the flowchart goes:

1. look at /etc/hosts.allow to allow access
2. look at /etc/hosts.deny to deny access
3. allow access

you can also take a look at what in your firewalling rules, but i doubt
this is it.  if you're curious, try ipchains -L.  it'll prolly be blank
on a stock system.

> Second: Is SWAT a useful approach?  If so what is a good way to implement
> it.

heh.  i don't even know what swat is.   :)

btw, do you know about google groups?  it's my first line of attack for
problems i have with my own system.

don't forget your log files.  troubleshooting begins with your log
files and often ends with google groups.

hope something here was useful!

pete