2002 Jul 14 22:47

Re: [vox-tech] TeX question: writing a robust fraction macro

Henry House wrote:

> The macro is to be used for typesetting a cookbook; comparable usage suggests
> that fractions should be not be written out in words but should change to
> italics in italic text. (Keeping maths in roman in italic blocks is of course
> the correct usage in the mathematical papers for which LaTeX was designed.)

Many cookbooks are set using non- TEX technology!  Standard practise in the
book and magazine industry is use of 'vulgar fractions' which are single glyphs
in some fonts. If memory serves, many ITC, Bitstream, and Adobe fonts have a
splendid selection of these glyphs: 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Charter has a few. Many
fonts have nothing.

HTH, HAND

--
*page 299, line -2
change "Leonhard Euler [113] in 1765" to "Daniel Bernoulli in 1728"