2002 Jul 13 00:49

Re: [vox-tech] printer question

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 07:05:57PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm trying to configure an epson stylus color 600.
>
> when i print, the job simply disappears into the void without a trace.
> i know it gets spooled because if i stop lpd and try to print, the job
> appears in /var/spool/lpd/es600.  then if i enable lpd, the job
> disappears.  the printer lights never blink.  so SOMETHING right is
> happening.  at least as far as spooling the job goes.
>
> also, i can cat a file to /dev/lp0, so THAT'S working.
>
> forget that i haven't been able to get it working yet.  i have a
> different question.  i'd like to know where the job goes.
>
> here's the printcap i'm using:
>
> lp|lp720|Epson Stylus Color 600 - 720dpi:\
>    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>    :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>    :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
>    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/es600:\
>    :sh:\
>    :pw#80:\
>    :pl#66:\
>    :px#1440:\
>    :mx#0:\
>    :if=/usr/local/sbin/es600-720:
>
> and here's /usr/local/sbin/es600-720
>
>    #!/bin/bash
>    #
>    # 720 dpi filter for the Epson Stylus Color 600
>
>    gs -q @stc600p.upp -sOutputFile=- -
>    echo "hello" >> /tmp/printer

Out of curiosity, what happens when you reverse the order of those two lines?

[...]
> 1. lpr spools the job into the spool directory specified by printcap's sd.

Actually, lpr connects to lpr by tcp or socket and sends it the job data. The
enqueueing is done by lpd itself.

> 2. lpd "somehow" knows the job is there and sends the job through the
>       input filter.
> 3. the input filter writes the translated job to standard out, which is
>       connected back to lpd.
> 4. lpd ships the job to the device, printcap's lp.
>
> Q1: is this correct?

More or less; see above.

> Q2: why am i not seeing "hello" in /tmp/printer?

I cannot say; I know little about classic lpr/lpd.

> Q3: is there _really_ no debugging/verbose switches for lpd?
>
> note, installing lprng isn't an option.  the system that i'm using
> normally uses my laserjet 6MP, and i'd like to disturbe the printing
> system "as little as possible" so i don't muck up my laserjet
> configuration.

If I may say so you are making a mistake here. Lprng was designed to be
compatible with lpr classic, but with innumerable bug fixes and a non-shoddy
security model. Why can't you back your lpr classic configuration and give
lprng a try? You can always go back. I have used lprng with a LaserJet III
sucessfully; there is no reason that a LaserJet 6MP should cause any trouble.

--
Henry House