January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 12 23:18

Re: [vox-tech] printer question

CUPS rocks.  I was never able to resolve my problem of printing via CUPS
over a Samba connection to a printer hooked up to my Win98 box, so I
finally ended up connecting my HP printer directly to my Linux machine.
Not the most ideal solution, since I'd really like to print to our nice
photo quality printer, but life goes on.

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 21:03, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > i hate setting up printers; maybe because i know so little about how
> > printing works.
>
> It's not just you:  Everyone passionately hates Unix printing.  I do
> everything humanly possible to stay away from it.
>
> Consider throwing out the entire lpr mess, and installing CUPS and the
> gnome-print filters ("drivers").  Or PDQ in place of CUPS.
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/spoolers.html
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/background.html
>
> --
> Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
> Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
> rick@linuxmafia.com       MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com