2002 Jul 06 20:33

Re: [vox-tech] Question: mod_dav.1.0.3 + apache.1.3.26 and CR/LFissues w

Re: [vox-tech] Question: mod_dav.1.0.3 + apache.1.3.26 and CR/LFissues w/ MacOS+MSWin

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:
> ME writes:
>  > > You shouldn't use extensions at all - you should be basing it on the
>  > > MIME type, no? (for receiving, that is - not sending, where the MIME
>  > > type will be based on the extension anyway).
>  >
>  > I did not want to have it adjust all text/* files because some (uu, hqx,
>  > etc) may be better off not modified. This allows me to specify which
>  > text/? to map over to alter. I may change to text/* over the long term,
>  > but for now, extention specific seems to work rather well 8-D
>
> You can't harm uu or hqx encodings by altering the EOL sequence; they
> are ignored - they are specifically designed to be impervious to
> changes in the EOL sequence. And HTTP takes advantage of this by
> allowing text/* foramts to use any EOL sequence (appropriate for the
> encoding).

Only for display. :-(

Netscape for example will save a file served with ^M as a file with ^M for
line breaks. Same for ^J and ^M^J, unless you choose to, "save as" and
then "text" instead of "source". I did not test MSIE.

As for hqx, I meant to type hx (hax files for a program called "hax" that
I picked up from a buddy used in rare place for posting to bbs) instead of
hqx (binhex)..

(I read the next message. Yes, hqx is binhex.. My brain was thinking
"hx" but after working with mac so much lately, hqx is what I typed.)

-ME