2002 Jul 03 19:36

[vox-tech] Debian install on new laptop (was: [lugod lert] insanity)

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:05:52PM -0700, mjgodwin@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> Hi,
> I was given as a graduation present a Sony Viao PCG-R505EL
> notebook.  It's pretty.  So, I boot up, and Windows XP
> happily starts to install itself, begginning with synching
> with the MS mothership.
>
> So I reboot, pop in my debian installation boot disk, and
> the insanity began.  After two weeks, I've managed to get
> a base system booting up with 2.2.20, as 2.4.x just wouldn't
> read rootfs.  I got the builtin NIC working, and the floppy,
> but that's about it. I can't get gcc to work at all, because
> for some reason biff won't install.
>
> Is there any way I could entice one of your local gurus out
> here ( or I there, whichever is easiest ), in order to help
> me hammer some faint traces of sanity into this thing?
>
> I can make any time before two tues(2nd), all day fri(5th) or sunday(7th),
> and before two and after 6 mon(8th).  I live on 619 Pole Line Rd, apt 266.
> Of course, directions if you need them.
>
> Thanks again,
> Matthew J Godwin

Hello Mattew! Have you tried getting help on our mailing list, Vox-tech? (I
ask because the above does not look like and emergency; LERT is for
emergencies or when other avenues have failed.) You need to sign up for the
mailing lists before you can post; you may sign up and read the archives at
http://lugod.org/mailinglists/. If that does not work, let me know and I will
see about getting someone to help you one-on-one.

I have copies this message to Vox-tech.

--
Henry House