2002 Jul 01 12:11

Re: [vox-tech] digital camera recommendation?

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 03:40:06PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:25:43PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a digital camera for use with Linux? My goals (in no
> > particular order):
> >
> > * Good image quality
>
> YMMV. :)  More megapixels help, at least when you want GIANT resolution
> (like, 1600x1200).  Check for good zoom, good indoor and outdoor capabilities,
> and flash.  Also good if you can adjust exposure.
>

> > * Uses compact flash (the little wafers, each as large as an air-mail stamp)
>
> Those aren't compact flash.  CF are the big squarish ones.  (They also
> come in micro-hard-drive flavors of up to 1GB, as well as other devices
> like ethernet, modem, bluetooth, wireless, etc.)

I meant airmail-stamp size, which is rather larger than a first-class stamp
;-). Anyway, I am sure that CompactFlash is what I have; I prefer it to the
other standard because I have a Sandisk CompactFlash reader that works great
under kernel 2.4.18 and a few flash cards. The smaller size of the SmartMedia
cards is appealing, but then they seem to be more expensive at large
capacities, easier to lose, and likely less durable.

Sorry for the confusion :-).

Anyway, I am now leaning to a Casio QV4000 camera, which appears to be
supported by a USB mass storage kernel driver:

	http://www.harald-schreiber.de/

as documented above. No word on the above page about Casio's
Linux-friendliness, but there are no complains from the developers posted
there either.

I also like the Casio because it is an unobtrusive black, rather than an
eye-grabbing silver, like most of the rest. Silly, I know ;-).

--
Henry House