2002 Jun 28 12:50

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> It happened when I started up X.

If it happened immediately upon starting up X without giving you an
opportunity to do anything, the screensaver suggestion seems rather
unlikley.

If after starting up X, X worked fine but after a period of inactivity
equal to the timout for your screensaver, then your screensaver is likely
to be blamed.

> > Have you tried to install and GLX, or 3d X support
> > libs from RedHat? Any
> > kind of extra video or additions to video? (DRI,
> > GLX, 3dx, 3d?)
>
> ME, I'm a raw newbie at this.  I don't even know where
> my make stuff is.

These would likely be options or packages. I do not use RedHat, but might
expect it could come up like this...
You choose to install a new game, and while doing so the installer tells
you that you need to install other packages. These other packages might
include names like those above ("add support for DRI", "Support for GLX",
"support for hardware accelleration", "3d video card support").

I tried to include the above names to see if any of them sounded familiar
to you. I did not expect you to know what they meant. :-)

(Sort of like when a game for MS Windows tells you that you need Direct X
66.6. You dont need to know what it is, but may remember the name
"DirectX" if someone brings it up.)

> > Have you altered any of you X configurations or
> > allowed anyone else to do
> > so?
>
> About a month ago, someone helped me add the RH box to
> my home network.  He changed the default screen
> resolution in: etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and later changed
> it back.  That is the only X related changes I am
> aware of.

OK. This can help. You can also check the date of two files (config
files) to see that no app/tool tried to alter them recently:

# ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config*

See if the dates listed for the files modification time (listed in the
output) are consistent with the times you recall they were last altered.

> I've changed it to no screensaver.  Perhaps after this
> settles down, I will experiment with other settings.

I want to be explicit here. Does this mean that when you rebooted, you
started up X and everything seems to work right now?

If this is the case, were there any events that lead up to the failure you
described that you can recall?

Perhaps Redhat keeps a log of the last start of X? Check out /var/log
# ls -l /var/log/*X*
"XFree86.0.log" for example (and others) may contain the last complaints
from "X" the last time it failed and point a finger as to where the
problem may have come.

-ME