2002 Jun 28 11:14

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

--- ME <dugan@passwall.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > Hi ME,
> >
> > X has worked for about a year.  I don't know the
> > version.
>
> Is this something that "just happened all of a
> sudden while you were
> running X and actually doing useful stuff" or was
> this "something that
> happened right when you started up X" ?

It happened when I started up X.

> Have you tried to install and GLX, or 3d X support
> libs from RedHat? Any
> kind of extra video or additions to video? (DRI,
> GLX, 3dx, 3d?)

ME, I'm a raw newbie at this.  I don't even know where
my make stuff is.

> Have you altered any of you X configurations or
> allowed anyone else to do
> so?

About a month ago, someone helped me add the RH box to
my home network.  He changed the default screen
resolution in: etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and later changed
it back.  That is the only X related changes I am
aware of.

<snip>

> If everything seems to work fine after the reboot,
> then please test
> changing your screensaver to something other than
> random. (I seem to
> recall people with this problem said even changing
> it to a specific
> screesaver and then back to random prevented this
> problem, but I dont use
> RedHat and cant say for certain if it did.) When the
> problem occured,
> sometimes the screensaver would work, and other
> times it would
> not. Agains, i dont know the version of RedHat, but
> it was one or morte of
> the 7.x series.

I've changed it to no screensaver.  Perhaps after this
settles down, I will experiment with other settings.

<snip>