2002 Jun 28 10:25

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

--- ME <dugan@passwall.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > My Red Hat 7.1 box booted normally to the command
> line
> > this morning.  Ran startx and hung part way into
> it.
> > I see a carpet pattern that slowly moves N to S
> and is
> > composed of diagonal lines in various colors.
> >
> > How do I get out of limbo?  Please keep it simple.
>
> This sounds like a poorly configured X. Has "X" ever
> worked on this
> machine before? What version of X are you running?

Hi ME,

X has worked for about a year.  I don't know the
version.

> If your background is a grey (up close it looks like
> a checkerboard
> black/white) pattern, and your pointer is a "X" that
> moves with the mouse
> or just hangs out int a corner even when you move
> your mouse, then that is
> one problem. (I read Peter was addressing this in
> the window manager
> message, so I wont re-state what he has stated.)
>
> If you have multiple colors, odd patterns, black
> screen with odd lines
> here and there, and/or shifted bit patterns on the
> screen, then it is more
> likely that the settings for your video card in your
> XF86Config (or
> XF86Config-4) are not properly done or there is no
> support for your video
> card in that X server (suggesting an upgrade in X).

The left one third of the screen is full black.  No
gray, no colors, just black.

The right two thirds has a pattern of diagonal lines.
The diagonal lines are composed of various colors:
red, yellow, green, blue, aqua, pink, and maybe more.

The space between the lines is a more randome mix of
the same colors.

It takes about 3 seconds for a diagonal line to go
from the top of the screen to the bottom and off.