January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 28 09:58

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

begin Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com>
> --- Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
>
> > in the meantime, to kill it, just do
> > ctl-alt-backspace as usual.
>
> Ctrl-alt-backspace does not have any effect.

really?  ok, this is getting suspicious.  come to think of it, starting
X with "startx" is suspicious.  i thought redhat boxes always boot to X
by default?

something's wrong.  when you get the chance, email this to me:

  * what does your $HOME/.xinitrc contain?

  * what does your $HOME/.Xsession contain?

  * send output of startx 2>sendtopete

i'll find anything funny looking and post it to the list.

> Also, I cannot FTP into RH as I normally can.  I've
> tried my ja id (which is what I had started x with)
> and also my bu id.  No response to either.

i have absolutely no idea what ja id and vu id are.

so you can't ftp.  can you ping the machine?

> About a week ago I had clatter from the heads of my
> hard disk.  I bounced the box and it happened once
> again, but not in the last few days.

boy, this hasn't been a good week for lugod disks.

pete