2002 Jun 28 09:49

Re: [vox-tech] Part Way Into X

> hi jim,
>
> believe it or not, in a sense, nothing is obviously
> wrong.  X is prolly
> working just fine.
>
> for whatever reason, you're not running a window
> manager or desktop
> manager.  this is what X looks like when she's
> completely naked and
> exposed.
>
> i'm not familiar enough with redhat to know how to
> get your previous
> configuration back.  there are many different ways
> to get a win manager
> and/or desktop manager running.
>
> in the meantime, to kill it, just do
> ctl-alt-backspace as usual.

Hi Pete,

Ctrl-alt-backspace does not have any effect.
Also, I cannot FTP into RH as I normally can.  I've
tried my ja id (which is what I had started x with)
and also my bu id.  No response to either.

> what does your $HOME/.xinitrc contain?
>
> what does your $HOME/.Xsession contain?

I'll send as soon as I get access.

> what happened recently that might have changed your
> system?

About a week ago I had clatter from the heads of my
hard disk.  I bounced the box and it happened once
again, but not in the last few days.

I've got good data backup, so I'm not worried there.
The box could die and I would just put a new disk in.

There have been no config changes in the last month or
so.  And that was just to put the RH box on my home
network.