2002 Jun 27 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] Apache, IE, error 404

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, nbs wrote:

[...]

> So I've already got 404 errors doing magical PHP stuff.  My issue is,
> they are (rightly) being transmitted as "404" responses.
>
> IE notices this, ignores any of the actual HTML content provided by
> the webserver (e.g., in the first page up there, the note saying
> "You're probably looking for the installfest page: _link_"), and just
> plops its crap onto the screen.

[...]

> Now to track down a Windows box with IE to test with ;)

First get the response code straightened out:

$ telnet www.lugod.org 80
Trying 168.150.251.11...
Connected to dcn251-11.dcn.davis.ca.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /nonexistent HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found  <-----***** this is the response code ****----
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:06:35 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.1.1 mod_perl/1.24_01
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /nonexistent was not found on this server.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.20 Server at www.livepenguin.com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

... then worry about finding IE to test with.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing