2002 Jun 27 13:31

Re: [vox-tech] Apache, IE, error 404

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, nbs wrote:

> I'm curious, is there any way to make an Apache webserver magically
> notice when an IE browser is about to get an error 404 and not actually
> send a "404" error code back?  (e.g., show whatever error page it would
> show, but respond as if it was an "ok", versus a "file not found")
>
> The point is to circumvent the stupid built-in IE error response pages
> which are, in turn, circumventing any _useful_ error page your webserver
> may be providing.  (LUGOD.org, for example, has a rather sophisticated
> error page which understands typos, knows about some out-of-date URLs,
> and so forth...  It's sad to think so many people might never even see
> the useful error response because IE is overriding the server's actual HTML)

[read, read, read]

The problem would probably arise in the very first line of the httpd
response, which echoes the HTTP protocol level and specifies the numeric
response code.  Following that are response headers (mod_asis lets you
control these) and a message body (ErrorDocument).

I am not seeing anything that lets you lie about the response code,
though, which may be for the best. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing