2002 Jun 24 16:11

Re: [vox-tech] Perl question: file handling

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Rod Roark wrote:
> Thanks Jeff, that helps.  But in this case the rename deletes
> a file (with the same name) that's still open (and locked),
> and so the inode is going away, right?
>
> I suppose the OS doesn't care since it was opened read-only,
> but it sure feels cheesy to me.

Try this:

$ touch /tmp/file
$ tail -f /tmp/file

(from another tty)
$ echo "hello world" >> /tmp/file

(look back at the "tail -f" console and you will see "hello world")

$ mv /tmp/file /tmp/file2
$ echo "hello world again" >> /tmp/file2

tee hee

*kinda* like when you pass call a pointer "var1" or "var2" the address
that is being pointed to is the same...

-ME