2002 Jun 20 20:37

[vox-tech] 2 dhcp servers, one box

Does anyone have any experience running multiple dhcp servers out of one
box?  Allow me to clarify... I have a box with three network cards: eth0
is connected to the DSL modem, eth1 to a 192.168.0.0/24 network
(MASQed), and eth2 will be connected to a 192.168.1.0/24 network (which
I also intend to MASQ).  There are various cabling considerations that
have made this arrangement seem sensible.  I'm running dhcpd on eth1,
because there are as many laptops in the house as desktops.  The
potentially tricky part is that I installed eth2 so that I can plug my
laptop into it when I'm in the same room as the router.  This makes it
appealing to run dhcpd on eth2 as well, so that I don't have to do any
funny voodoo every time I plug the laptop into a different network.

That said, there may be some voodoo to do concerning the configuration
of dhcp.  There's no issue of overlapping blocks of addresses since the
networks are different.  The question is, do I need multiple copies of
dhcpd.conf and dhcpd.leases, or can two daemons share the same files?  I
imagine it's possible that both subnets could be defined in the same
dhcpd.conf, since each instance of dhcpd should know which network it's
on.  But then again, it may not work that way.

Any other gotchas that I should be aware of?  In case it matters, the
machine is running Gentoo Linux.

Thanks,
Matt