2002 Jun 20 23:34

Re: [vox-tech] What's needed for 3D support?

On Thursday 20 June 2002 03:25 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> the linux gamers' howto might be helpful.   :-)

Well it's nice to have the author right here.  :-)

> in startx 2>X.err make sure the DRI is enabled.  it probably isn't.
> try to find a line beginning with (WW) or (EE) that gives a clue why it
> isn't being started.

OK sure enough it wasn't.  After I figured out that the
relevant messages are in /var/log/XFree86.0.log, I then
learned that I needed to run at 16-bit color depth, and
also Load "dri" in XF86Config.  That gets me this in the
log file:

  (II) TDFX(0): [DRI] installation complete
  (==) TDFX(0): Direct rendering enabled

That's the good news.  The bad news is, it didn't make
any noticable difference for either tuxracer or billardgl,
even running as root.  They are still slower than snails
on ice.   :-(

Any other thoughts appreciated....

-- Rod