January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 17 22:16

Re: [vox-tech] How X, Gnome, Sawfish, Nautilus relate (Was re:Pardon me,

Re: [vox-tech] How X, Gnome, Sawfish, Nautilus relate (Was re:Pardon me, but...)

Thanks to all for your explanations!  I think I grasp it now.

The older versions of Windows really were just containers for DOS, a
fancy version of DOSSHELL.  I believe it was version 3.0 of Windows when
Microsoft decided that users really didn't need to know anything but the
GUI; by Windows 2000, of course, DOS had been completely emasculated,
and Windows is now nothing but GUI.  Which is a shame.  I personally
really like just digging around inside the command line from time to
time and seeing what I can pull off.

But, anyway...  Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.  I
appreciate it.  :)

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 15:39, nbs wrote:

> [subject of message changed because "Pardon me, but..." doesn't say
> anything :^) ]
>

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:26:46PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> <snip>
> > Sawfish would be equivalent to the GUI part of Windows (the thing the
> > determines how things look and behave), more or less...
>
> Well, that's not entirely correct.  It's the GUI part of everything
> _around_ a window in the windowing environment.  It has nothing to do with
> the pulldown menus, type-in fields, check boxes, buttons, text, etc.,
> INSIDE a window.
>
> In the case of GNOME apps., this is typically handled by GNOME libs,
> and GTK+ (and related) libs.
>

> > In short, window managers are required,
>
> Only if you're not insane.  e.g., Pete Salzman often runs X without
> ANYTHING (not even a window manager) to make things like Quake run
> as fast as possible. :)
>

> <snip>
> > > 	Nautilus
> >
> > Windows Explorer on adrenaline rush.
>
> Very cool concept.  Fairly good implementation.  Company go bye-bye. :^(
>
> Thankfully it (or at least MOST of it) is Open Source.
> (Probably why company went bye-bye.  Well, along with the
> economic and tech. industry crash in general, of course. :^) )
>

> -bill!
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com