2002 Jun 17 21:54

[vox-tech] How X, Gnome, Sawfish, Nautilus relate (Was re: Pardon me, bu

[vox-tech] How X, Gnome, Sawfish, Nautilus relate (Was re: Pardon me, but...)

[subject of message changed because "Pardon me, but..." doesn't say
anything :^) ]

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 03:26:46PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
<snip>
> Sawfish would be equivalent to the GUI part of Windows (the thing the
> determines how things look and behave), more or less...

Well, that's not entirely correct.  It's the GUI part of everything
_around_ a window in the windowing environment.  It has nothing to do with
the pulldown menus, type-in fields, check boxes, buttons, text, etc.,
INSIDE a window.

In the case of GNOME apps., this is typically handled by GNOME libs,
and GTK+ (and related) libs.

> In short, window managers are required,

Only if you're not insane.  e.g., Pete Salzman often runs X without
ANYTHING (not even a window manager) to make things like Quake run
as fast as possible. :)

<snip>
> > 	Nautilus
>
> Windows Explorer on adrenaline rush.

Very cool concept.  Fairly good implementation.  Company go bye-bye. :^(

Thankfully it (or at least MOST of it) is Open Source.
(Probably why company went bye-bye.  Well, along with the
economic and tech. industry crash in general, of course. :^) )