2002 Jun 05 11:53

Re: [vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:39:31PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 June 2002 10:03 pm, Bill Broadley wrote:
> > > I thought the 5th amendment would prevent that. Am I just ignorant?
> >
> > I've talked to people with more then a passing familiarity with
> > said laws and the basic conclusion was, no.  Your password is not
> > protected under the 5th amendment.
>
> What about the "I can't remember it" line?

I think it would depend on the judge believing you don't know.

If your computer depends on a pass phrase to start up you might
have a hard time demonstrating that you don't know the pass
phrase if your computer was running...

Prosecution, "We have ... as evidence that he should remember."
Judge, "... are in contempt until you choose to tell us the key.
Bailiff lock him up."

Joel