January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 05 09:29

Re: [vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

> When you want to keep something from being subpoenaed, I think your best
> defense is to have a zero knowledge file system.  My understanding of
> this is a little weak, but from what I remember each file password
> combination get equally distributed on the file system.  I think that
> the prosecution has to ask for something specific, but again IANAL.

My understanding of zero knowledge proof is basically an algorithm to
prove you have data (a password, an answer to a complex question, an
account number, etc. ) without revealing anything useful about the number.
Sometimes refered to as minimal disclosure.  Quite handy to prove for
instance that you have a password, without revealing the plaintext to
whoever is challanging your possession of said password.

I've no idea how that (or related ideas) would apply usefully to a
filesystem.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics