2002 Jun 07 11:30

[vox-tech] tar question

how do you delete a file from an archive?  i did:

mkdir test
cd test
echo "hello" > a
echo "hello" > b
cd ..
tar cv test > test.tar

then:

tar --delete b --file test.tar
tar --delete test/b --file test.tar

both time i get

tar: b: Not found in archive

how do i delete a file from a tar archive?  without doing something dumb
like untarring, deleting and retarring.

pete