2002 Jun 04 12:45

Re: [vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:46:11PM -0700, Matt Roper wrote:
> Do you know which applications where leaving these passwords in swap?
> It might be worth submitting a patch that zeroes out the password in
> memory as soon as it is no longer needed...

I'm guessing here, but I'm guessing that you can take:
[bill@bilbo bill]$ head -2 /proc/1223/maps
08048000-0804d000 r-xp 00000000 09:01 2235926    /bin/login
0804d000-0804e000 rw-p 00004000 09:01 2235926    /bin/login

I'm willing to bet that if /bin/login were a culprit that the block in
swap would correlate with the mapped page in maps.

I'm assuming/hoping that the physical address in the swap partition
directly maps to the numbers in /proc/<pid>/maps but I'm not sure, if not
I'm guessing a few kernel tweaks would be necessary to find the mapping.

> Matt
>
> --

Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dynamics
UC Davis