2002 Jun 03 13:39

Re: [vox-tech] xlib/gdk questions

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 01:24:31PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > i've seen this happen before -- but i'm still not sure why it happens.
> > can you explain just a little bit more why this happens?
>
> You've only got 256 colors on the 8-bit display.
> If program A wants 50 of them to be shades of green,
> and program B wants to have 256 shades of grey, that's
> more than 256 colors. :)

i think this is the source of my confusion about global versus local
colormaps.

program A has a colormap of 256 colors.  program B also has its own colormap
of 256 colors.

when a program uses its own colormap, it sounds like you're saying that
colormap replaces the global colormap(?)  everyone else's colormap (?)
when the application has focus.

so there can only be a single active colormap at a time?  the one whose
application currently has focus?

is that approximately what's going on?

pete